Yodai Higashizawa (東沢 洋大 Higashizawa Yōdai) is a character in The World Ends with You, and a Reaper Officer. He's a minor antagonist in the main story and the main antagonist of Another Day.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Higashizawa is a 20-year-old powerhouse overflowing with power and ferocity, Higashizawa can shatter concrete with his fists alone. Although physically dominating, his emotions often get the best of him.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Higashizawa is a dread-locked giant and the Game master during Shiki's Chapter. He chose to follow tradition and wait until late in the game to make his appearance in the game, as opposed to Minamimoto and Konishi who both revealed themselves to the Players early on. His Noise form is a giant, bipedal ram with wings. He is shown to be the only high-ranking officer (Gamemaster and up) to regularly don reaper wings, while most others only reveal them when converting to Noise forms.
He takes great pride in his overwhelming strength and ability to split the ground in two. He also speaks with constant references to food. He has a soft side among the group, as he gets very emotional very quickly. He and Minamimoto didn't get along very well. When he is in a battle, he has several quotes such as "Time for a taste test" or "I'll pound you!" This most likely shows that he treats his battles like he is cooking a meal. After being defeated, unlike the other game masters, he congratulates the players before being erased.
In Another Day[edit | edit source]
In Another Day, Higahizawa initially plays the role of an overly flirtatious booth babe. But in actuality, he is a part of the Black Skullers. However, he is very passionate towards Tin Pin Slammer and wishes to "purify" it instead of destroying it. His love of food is referenced by Rhyme calling him a "Great Chef."
Story[edit | edit source]
Main Story[edit | edit source]
During the first week of the Reapers' Game, Higashizawa acts as Game Master by proxy in the stead of Megumi Kitaniji with the promise of being promoted to Game Master officially if every player is erased. During this time, he sets his sights on Shiki, fascinated by her jealousy of Eri. Higashizawa visits Neku and Shiki on the fifth day and informs Neku that he's dead. On the sixth day, Higashizawa is given full Game Master privileges. On Day 7, he is defeated by Neku and Shiki. Before he is erased he congratulates Shiki on her growth.
Another Day[edit | edit source]
In Another Day, he was formerly one of the original developers of Tin Pin Slammer along with Ken Doi (and presumably, Sho Minamimoto). After the failure of the (New) Solid Slammer line, he watched as Tin Pin Slammer became flooded with what he referred to as "generic, mass-produced fiascos" and became obsessed with "purifying" the game. He would ultimately side with the Black Skullers and serve as a "booth babe" at the Molco Slam-Off and took part in the pin theft that ensued.
When the Kindred Spirits finally caught up with the Black Skullers, he finally revealed that he wasn't on the Skuller's side either. He revealed the executive meddling that ultimately resulted in the (new) Solid Slammer's failure, and still held to his plan to purify Tin Pin Slammer. However, Sho Minamimoto arrived with a new Solid Slammer: Omega Kaiser Phoenix. With it, Shuto Dan was able to defeat Higashizawa. Only then did Higashizawa see the error of his ways, and returned to Tin Pin development along with Ken and Sho.
Relationships[edit | edit source]
Megumi Kitaniji[edit | edit source]
Higashizawa's relationship with Kitaniji is very formal. They both hold the other in very high regard. Kitaniji pushes for Higashizawa to get a promotion which causes Higashizawa to try harder in his work.
Shiki Misaki[edit | edit source]
Higashizawa finds enjoyment out of Shiki's suffering. He is shown to have a great understanding of her past and uses that knowledge to cause for her more emotional pain. He describes the feelings of watching her negative emotions as if he were eating an enjoyable meal. In the end, he commends her for overcoming those negative emotions.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
His Noise form is a giant, bipedal ram with wings called Ovis Cantus (オウィスカンタス Owisu Kantasu, Latin for "singing sheep"). He is an immobile boss. He does nothing except for inhaling (which absorbs Neku's psychs and prevents Shiki from attacking) until enough damage has been dealt, after which the screen will flash (at which point he is invincible), where he will say, "Now we're boiling!!" and start attacking.
His attacks include:
- "Time for a taste test." - He inhales, breathing in Neku and Shiki's psychs (if Neku uses a pin, the gauge will act like the pin had been used but the actions of the pin will not be executed, nor will Ovis be damaged, and Shiki's moves won't do anything either). Unavoidable, though the best thing to do would be to stop attacking until Ovis stops inhaling. Most ranged pins, if absorbed, will heal Ovis.
- "I'll mince you!" - He swipes his claw across the screen, knocking Neku to the other side of the screen, dodged by moving to the bottom or other side of the screen.
- "I'll pound you!" - He pounds his fist to the ground, creating a small shockwave, dodged by moving away from his fists. He also attacks Shiki with this by chopping her with his hand.
- "I'll char your bones black!" - Expels balls of energy from his mouth, dodged by dashing away from the energy balls; follows by summoning lightning bolts that damages and immobilizes Neku, dodged by dashing everywhere until the lightning bolts stop coming. He also hits Shiki with a move like this.
- We've preheated LONG ENOUGH!" - He says this once his health bar has been depleted to just the green one. Does nothing, but show that he is almost erased.
Item[edit | edit source]
The following is the Higashizawa-related item that the player can get in the game:
Etymology[edit | edit source]
The kanji for Higashi-zawa Yo-dai literally translates to: East, swamp, ocean, big.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Like the other two Game Masters (Minamimoto and Konishi) including Kitaniji, Higashizawa's name has the kanji affiliated with his noise form hidden inside it. In this case, the kanji affiliated with Yodai's noise form is part of a kanji in his name (the 洋 (Yo) in Yodai contains the Japanese kanji for sheep (羊).
- Out of the three Game Masters, Higashizawa is the most loyal to the Conductor, Kitaniji, to a point that Higashizawa could be considered Kitaniji's right-hand man. Ironically both Minamimoto and Konishi are anything but loyal, as they seek to betray Kitaniji.
- In the Another Day side-chapter, when Neku first enters Molco, Higashizawa is the "booth babe" and refers to Final Fantasy VII by saying "Dilly dally, shilly shally," a line originally said by Tifa Lockhart from Final Fantasy VII.
- A scene in the manga shows that Higashizawa has poor arithmetic skills, and even confuses arithmetic with mathematics, allowing Sho Minamimoto to make fun of him.
|Neku • Beat • Joshua • Rhyme • Shiki • Sota and Nao|