- "I can't leave Shibuya like this. I have to change it. All Reapers deserve to enjoy their work. To feel rewarded!"
- — Uzuki to Kariya
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Story
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Abilities
- 6 Item
- 7 Etymology
- 8 Quotes
- 9 Battle Quotes
- 10 Non-Canon Appearances
- 11 Trivia
- 12 References
In The World Ends with You, Uzuki is a slender young woman with pale skin. She wears a gloved sweater that shows her navel, with a white corset and a pair of black denim shorts along with knee high white boots. The players call her "Pinky" because of her short pink hair and vibrant lipstick (though she's apparently touchy about this, telling Beat to "leave my hair out of this" the first time he uses the nickname to her face). She has large, black wings, signifying her inexperience compared to Kariya's small wings.
In NEO: The World Ends with You, she wears a suit: the pants and suit jacket are black, her dress shirt is white, her tie is pale blue. She wears a black bustiere with green laces. Her long, sharp nails are uncovered and painted a similar vibrant pink to her hair.
- "An energetic 17-year-old girl. In front of Neku she acts tough and arrogant. Though she has a low rank among the Reapers, she is a perfectionist in every aspect when it comes to her occupation"
- — Game manual description
Uzuki Yashiro is the hotheaded partner of Koki Kariya. Unlike many of her colleagues, Uzuki is completely obsessed with her work because she wants a promotion. When she is restricted from working hard, it drives her crazy. Uzuki has a great love for Shibuya.
Uzuki is cruel and manipulative, such as when she falsely accuses Shiki Misaki of being a Reaper spy and tries to kill Shiki, all while having a smile on her face. Uzuki, like all of the Harrier Reapers, has a total disregard for the lives of Players. She values each competitor as little as trash or a Noise. This only aids her in her zealous demeanor. Though this is common among all Reapers, she takes it to a whole new level as she gets angry when Neku and Joshua saved her from the taboo noise, and later when Beat and Neku defeat her in a fight but chose not to erase her she gets even angrier and tries to get them to keep fighting even though it would have killed her. Both times Koki Kariya has to step in and calm her down. Uzuki justifies her actions because she is a Reaper and it is later revealed that it is a Reaper's duty to help exterminate players as it is how they survive.
In The Animation, Uzuki is treated a bit more sympathetically, as a hard worker who never seems to be able climb up the Reaper ranks. Upon finding out that Konishi was using her as a pawn and never really cared about giving her a promotion, she has an emotional breakdown.
In NEO: The World Ends with You, although her mind was once solely focused on getting ahead, Uzuki seems to have outgrown her previous ambition for some reason or another.
Much of Uzuki's history is a mystery, although it is clear she has been working as a Reaper for two years. This implies she may have been a 15-year-old girl who won a Reapers' Game and chose to become a Reaper.
On the second day, she tries to manipulate Neku into killing Shiki, but is stopped by Sanae Hanekoma.
Uzuki's final appearance in the first week is when she and Kariya get a surprise visit from Beat. However, instead of seeking revenge for Rhyme, Beat wants to know how they can awaken Noise from pins.
Uzuki's first appearance in this week is right at the beginning alongside Kariya, where she gets angered when she gets a call from the new Game Master, who has issued orders for all Reapers to remain on standby. What adds to her anger is the fact that she already has little love for how he runs things.
On the second day, Uzuki and Kariya are investigating which Routes are open to them, as it seems the game master as sealed off a lot of them. Uzuki is still angered about being left on standby, and idly considers jumping over to the Realground to "recruit" a few new players. Kariya quickly reminds her that's illegal, but they are suddenly attacked. When that attackers turn out to be Taboo Noise, the creation of which is a capital offense, Uzuki calls it in. Later, Uzuki receives an anonymous phone call, which seems to be mostly gibberish. Later it's revealed the phone call was actually from BJ, although Uzuki herself never learns this.
On the fourth, due to the lack of missions, Uzuki begins to get bored. Kariya suggests they trail Neku and Joshua, which, on the fifth day, eventually leads to the discovery that Joshua is playing the Game while alive.
On the sixth day, she and Kariya are attacked by Taboo Noise, but can be saved by Neku and Joshua.
In the third week, Uzuki talks to Kariya about Konishi's position as Game Master and worries about making a good impression. It's shown that she is obsessed with getting promoted to officer rank. Later Konishi (who is going into hiding) contacts Uzuki and Kariya and tells them to try to erase Neku and Beat, promising to promote Uzuki if they succeed. She gives them a fake Rhyme pin to bait Neku and Beat. Neither Uzuki nor Kariya knows the Rhyme pin is fake.
On the third day, she confronts Neku and Beat, saying that Konishi made her the 'substitute Game Master' and challenges them to Reaper Sport 4. However, Beat accidentally sneezes loudly when she says what Reaper Sport 4 actually is. Unwittingly, the two fulfill the requirements of the game, following Uzuki through several areas. When the find her and their ignorance of the purpose of the game is revealed, Uzuki becomes enraged and reveals that it's tag. While she's ranting, Neku tags her and thus wins. Angered, she battles them and loses, retreating.
On the fourth day, after Kariya loses to Neku and Beat, both she and Kariya fight them but lose. They give the fake Rhyme pin to Beat, discovering that it is fake and that Konishi was playing them to buy time for herself. To apologize, Kariya gives them his keypin. Although bitter about the turn of events, Uzuki apologizes to the two for leading them on during the previous day. While talking to Kariya later, she is inspired by his words and decides to get promoted not for personal gain, but rather to benefit the lower-class Reapers who are used as pawns by the Officers. However, moments later, she and Kariya are possessed by their O-Pins.
On the fifth day, Beat and Neku encounter the berserk Uzuki and Kariya and are forced to battle them. While berserk, they are much stronger. Beat and Neku defeat them, but decide not to erase them and instead leave them unconscious on the ground. As a result, they survived the events of the week and are released from the O-Pin's control.
A New Day
Uzuki herself does not appear in A New Day. However, a false version of her created by the Reaper Coco does appear and battle Neku and Beat. This Uzuki notably has a swapped personality with Kariya. She finds putting in too much work disgusting. At the same time, the illusionary Kariya is very driven to do well in his job like Uzuki.
In Another Day, Uzuki, Kariya, and Yodai Higashizawa host the tin pin slam off to steal everybody's pins. Here, she acts as if she was the boss such as when she scolds Yodai for rhyming multiple times. She is available to fight in a tin pin match. Also she leads a group of Prince fans, the Black Diablos much to the chagrin of Shiki who leads a rival group. Upon meeting in their tin pin match they both react to each other by (as Neku describes it) "wigging out" or making grunting and/or screaming sounds. She is surprised by Higashizawa's true intentions as she had planned to sell the stolen pins online. After the battles she is offered to join Shiki's fan club but instead decides to become "another 777 stalker", which immediately sets off Shiki to form a rival 777 Fan Club.
NEO: The World Ends with You
Uzuki returns with Kariya and Coco as part of the Shibuya Reapers.
She has a close bond with Kariya, who is always trying to get her to calm down and enjoy life. Despite her status, she remains incredibly arrogant and obsessive at all times. However, after confronting Kariya about turning down his promotion, he explains that the life of an officer is far too boring and that she should stop to "smell the concrete roses". After that, she relaxes a little and instead pledges to rise through the ranks to make the game more rewarding for all Reapers, with Kariya's help. She also shows a dislike in the way the higher ranked reapers use and manipulate the lower ranking ones.
Uzuki always calls Kariya by his last name, while Kariya calls Uzuki by her first name. This further shows the difference between the two, since calling someone by their last name is more formal than calling someone by their first name.
Although the two women are rarely seen interacting, it is clear that Uzuki holds a lot of respect for Konishi and is trying to persuade Konishi (and Kitaniji) to give her a promotion. Konishi mentions that all Uzuki needs is some more self-restraint. However, Uzuki later discovers Konishi was just using her as a pawn to buy time (hence the substitute GM for the day) and never really cared about giving Uzuki a promotion, causing Uzuki to become very distressed.
Shiki Misaki (Another Day)
She and Shiki are fierce rivals, each being the leaders of rival Prince, and later, 777, Fan Clubs. Their rivalry is so fierce that Uzuki willingly foregoes the tradition of "The Boss Battles Last" to settle the score with Shiki in a game of Tin Pin Slammer.
Uzuki uses a gun to fight in battle, but like all Reapers is usually forbidden from directly erasing Players and must create Noise to fight. She can fire pink flower-shaped bullets from her gun that, after the initial hit, split up into multiple bullets and then merge again to do high damage to Players. Uzuki's gun in The World Ends with You is the identical grey pistol seen in every game, but hers in The Animation is pink, with the barrel hole shaped like her bullets. She can also shoot a light blue flower-shaped bullet which swirls around and cuts the defense of the target upon contact, and is like a locked-on missile that follows you. She uses her wings to restore her HP, so don't leave her alone.
The following is all of the Uzuki-related items that the player can get in the game:
The kanji for Ya-shiro U-zuki literally translate to: Eight, substitute, rabbit (Chinese Zodiac), moon.
- "Only an idiot would screw up on Day 1."
- "You two are gonna get erased sooner or later. So come on. Help a girl out and earn me a few extra points, 'K?"
- "Well, excuuuse me for doing my job."
- "You know, you owe me a bowl of ramen. For not disappearing like you're s'posed to."
- "Please tell me you're not planning on fighting me? Ha ha ha ha! How stupid can you get? You'll never win against a Reaper! But all right. I'm game. I was getting bored anyway."
- "Eww, gross! Don't group us together. The Noise are nothing but tools. Pawns. Just like you Players."
- "You back there. Shut up!" (to Shiki)
- "Yup. Poof! Kaput! Easy, right? Just pretend you're erasing the Noise. Whew, this one's already in the bag. All right. Ready? Start!"
- "Just SPYING. She's not very good at covering it up." (lying about Shiki)
- "You're the star, kiddo. Just do things your way. What are you waiting for? Do what comes naturally. Save yourself. Screw everybody else, right?"
- "I know that, too! But I'm not the Game Master. Which MEANS this wasn't a mission, which MEANS I didn't break any rules!"
- "Like, that is so rude! I do not lie. If I erased you, that's still letting you out of the Game!"
- "Like, what gives, Kariya!? Who made today's mission for ages 3 and up!?"
- "Um... hello? You just saw. She's gone. Erased. Noise food. Game over." (to Beat about Rhyme)
- "You two... Why'd you help us? Are you, like, stupid? We're your enemies. Hello? Seriously. We can take care of ourselves!"
- "Ugh, whatever. I didn't ask for your help! Just thinking about it makes me want to barf. A Reaper needing a Player to save them? Seriously, gag! We're leaving, Kariya!"
- "Hey, leave my hair out of this."
- "Shut up shut up shut up! You have no right to call anyone stupid!" (to Beat)
- "I've got another mission for you! "Defeat the pissed off Reaper!""
- "I have to win this Game. I don't care what it takes! Now bring it, you little turds!"
- "AAAaaaAAAAAAaaaRRRRRRrrrRRRrrrGGGGgggGGH!!! Take your mercy and shove it!"
- "I WANT MY PROMOTION! I'm not shooting for any Miss Nice awards!"
- "Kariya... I love this town just as much as you. So I've decided. I can't leave Shibuya like this. I have to change it. All Reapers deserve to enjoy their work. To feel rewarded!"
- "Pfft. The Prince is so yesterday. I'm into the indie scene now! I'll be off listening to bands you kids have never even heard of! And then... when they go major... I'll be there to complain about how they sold out!"
- "Are you crazy!? We were going to sell those online! At a huge premium, I might add! How dare you betray us!?"
- "Don't bother struggling!"
- "Just wait!"
- "Going somewhere?"
- "Take that!"
- "I'm fresh out of forgiveness!"
- "Just hold still!"
- "Let's give 'em the special!"
- "I smell a promotion!"
- "That was so whatever!"
- "Comin' back your way!"
- "A slightly clumsy Reaper who talks much bigger than her comparatively low station would normally allow."
- — Uzuki's description in The Animation's official website
Uzuki debuts in The Animation in The Reapers' Game. She confirms Neku and Shiki's pact, and taunts them at the end of the first day. She also teaches Neku his last name, Sakuraba. She convinces Neku to erase Shiki at the end of Day 2, but is foiled when Hanekoma intervenes and tells her its against the rules.
When Rhyme is erased, Uzuki also attacks Beat a little in response, while in the game, it was only verbal. After, she and Kariya go get hot dogs and are confronted by an upset Beat, disgusted by how inhuman and cruel they are.
In Reapers, she asks Kariya if two Games have run back to back. She complains about how she can't get any points under Minamimoto and Kariya says they're plans that regular people can't fathom, like his trash heaps. At 104, she and Kariya check in with a support Reaper and find Route 1, 2, 5, and 6 are sealed, but 3 and 4 are open. Uzuki complains that Minamimoto doesn't care about Reapers on the ground, but Kariya says they should watch it unfold. Despite Hanekoma's statement that there can only be one mission per day, Minamimoto gives the Players two more missions - to erase their partners and defeat Kariya.
During CAT, around the Udagawa area Taboo Noise spawn from a trash heap, attacking Players. Uzuki and Kariya fly in. Uzuki believes it to be a mission, but Kariya recognizes it as Taboo Noise. He warns her - Uzuki says Noise don't attack Reapers, but then she gets ambushed by them. She works with Kariya to erase them, Kariya using his psychs and Uzuki using her gun - unlike the regular gray handgun she had in the game, it's a pink and purple color and has a unique muzzle shaped like the bullets her gun shoots out. Neku and Joshua defeat the Taboo Noise with a Fusion. Uzuki dismissively walks off and mentions having to report to Konishi after it.
In Turf, Uzuki and Kariya reprimand Beat when he tries to fight Neku and Joshua directly, something only a Game Master on Day 7 can do. He tells them he's doing a special operation for Kitaniji and calls them old-timers, angering Uzuki. Her phone rings with a report from Konishi about Taboo Noise and they reluctantly leave to follow it, Kariya telekinetically forcing Beat along with them. At the end of the episode, Uzuki and Kariya report the alive player and the Taboo Noise Refinery to Konishi at Dead God's Pad. They suggest Minamimoto is behind it due to drawing an unactivated sigil, but Konishi rejects it as insufficient evidence. Uzuki admits she doesn't know if she could've survived the Taboo Noise on her own, and she is terrified of losing more Reapers. Konishi acquiesces to the investigation.
In Joshua, Neku and Joshua rescue Uzuki and Kariya overwhelmed by Taboo Noise at Tokyu Hands. Uzuki berates them for saving the enemy Reapers and says she can take care of herself before almost collapsing from exhaustion. Kariya holds her up, tells her to calm down, and thanks Neku and Joshua. Uzuki asks why he thanked them and he says its out of politeness. She complains and flies off. On Day 7, she turns on the emergency lights in Mark City's staircase so Joshua and Neku can see the Spider Noise and Beat attacking them, saying it makes them even. They leave Mark City shortly after.
At the beginning of Emergency Call she discusses the strangeness of the Reapers' Game with Kariya and doubts the legality of the game. Kariya calls it the dark grey short of black. Uzuki says it can barely be considered a job and bemoans how she can't show off in front of the Game Master, Mitsuki Konishi, who Kariya calls the Iron Maiden. She and Kariya overwhelm a defenseless Neku with Frog Noise at the Scramble Crossing wall blocking the way to 104, but Beat breaks through the wall, rebels, and pacts with Neku. Kariya stops Uzuki and tells her to report the incident. Later, Uzuki is at Dead God's Pad when Kitaniji announces the Emergency Call and mandates O-Pins. She complains about her lack of motivation and Konishi says she'll approve requests of leave. Kariya tells Konishi Uzuki is looking for a challenge and she promises her a promotion if she gives results. Her last appearance in this episode is at Statue of Hachiko, where she discusses the Emergency Call with Kariya. Kariya is suspicious of the O-Pins, but Uzuki is excited about a secret weapon. Uzuki realizes they're the same as the popular Red Skull pins and wonders if its the Composer's style.
In Rhyme and Beat, Uzuki is despondent in Mexican Dog. Kariya suggests that she should've denied the promotion because the higher-ups are a boring job. At Tipsy Tose Hall, Uzuki berates Neku and Beat for erasing Negative Noise instead of focusing on the mission, and shows she has Rhyme trapped in a birdcage. They challenge Neku and Beat to a mission to get Rhyme back, but the day cuts out before they finish. On Day 4, the mail reveals its defeating them. Beat takes Neku to their turf, where the Reapers lurk and watch Players - the Scramble Crossing's Q-Front building. The cars and pedestrians stop, and they fight. While Neku and Beat are attacking Uzuki, Kariya comes in from behind and hits Neku with a blast of fire. When Uzuki tries to take out Beat with a powerful gunshot from behind, Neku blocks it with Piercing Pillar. Neku and Beat attack with a Fusion and demand Rhyme back. Kariya surrenders, and returns Rhyme, who flies into his arms and immediately dissipates. Beat thinks its a trick, but Kariya realizes they were tricked by Konishi. Uzuki bemoans how disposable lower-ranking Reapers are treated. As an apology, Kariya gives Beat an officer's keypin. Beat warns them about Konishi, Uzuki and Kariya leave, and the pedestrians start walking again. Walking back, Uzuki asks Kariya why they'd give the rebels a keypin. Kariya stops and asks her if she feels the city becoming homogenous. He says they're slowly converging to a single point and hopes it isn't a period. Uzuki doubles over in pain, and when Kariya comes to her side, he does too. Konishi comes out of the shadows, and notices the O-Pins' side effects are beginning to show. She wonders about Kitaniji's actions, and then disappears. Kariya cries out in pain - then, Uzuki and Kariya stand up, eyes glowing red.
In The Countless Wrongs of Our Day, Berserk Uzuki and Kariya amble towards Neku and Beat at Udagawa and mindlessly attack them. Uzuki pins Beat to the ground and tries to strangle him - Beat kicks her in the stomach, dislodging an O-Pin from her shorts. She stumbles, stops attacking, and her eyes go back to normal.
She and Kariya's last appearance is during It's a Wonderful World - she is shown eating hot dogs with Kariya.
- In the Japanese version of the game, Uzuki often has a star symbol at the end of her sentences.
- BJ, a member of Def Märch, has a crush on Uzuki, he calls her from the "Phone Booth of Love" in Molco but is rejected.
- Uzuki has been a Reaper for two years, yet she is called a "spring chicken" by Koki Kariya, indicating that he has been a Reaper a lot longer than Uzuki. This is further supported by how she has never worked two weeks in a row before the events of the game, while Kariya claims to have done so "a long time ago".
- Uzuki is the polar opposite of Koki Kariya as she is hard-working and determined to get promoted. On the other hand, Kariya wants nothing more than to lay back and let the other reapers do all the work. She also has a short temper, while Kariya never seems to get angry.
- Uzuki and Kariya are the only two Reapers shown to use a light puck between them, they also have their own Fusion attack. However, they are both capable of fighting by themselves if they choose to do so.
- In Remix versions, they do not have access to Cross Combos.
- In comparison to Uzuki having lipstick that matches her hair, Kariya's eyes, lollipop and hair color also match.
- At one point in the game, Uzuki pulls out a gun much like Joshua's and says she should go "recruit" some new players from the RG - in other words, killing living people. Kariya reminds her that this is forbidden, although (unbeknownst to him) Joshua has done exactly that.
- In the Japanese Release Date Announcement trailer, she is referred to as Yashiro. In English and most Japanese promotional material, she is referred to as Uzuki, her first name.
|Characters in The World Ends with You|
|Characters in NEO: The World Ends with You|