The World Ends with You The Animation (すばらしきこのせかいThe Animation Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation, lit. "It's a Wonderful World" The Animation) is an anime series adaptation of The World Ends with You video game. The original team that worked on The World Ends with You returned to work on the animation.
First intended for release in January 2021, it was delayed until April 9, 2021. The anime will air every Saturday morning at 1:25 a.m. (JST) on Japan's MBS / TBS 28 stations, during the "Super Animeism" block. The full series will be 12 episodes long and will finish before NEO: The World Ends with You is released, which is a sequel to the anime. The anime allows those who did not play the original game to catch up on the story, although it is a very concise manner.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
The plot of The Animation is based on the video game, although with some minor occasional story changes. It focuses on an antisocial teenage boy named Neku Sakuraba who mysteriously awakens in the middle of Shibuya's bustling Scramble Crossing with no memory of how he got there. He soon discovers he is trapped in an alternate plane of existence known as the Underground (UG). Now an unwilling participant in the mysterious Reapers' Game, Neku must partner up with a girl named Shiki Misaki in order to survive its seven days. Together, they complete daily missions and defeat monsters known as Noise as they gradually uncover the true nature of this twisted game.
Episodes[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Episodes
|1||The Reapers' Game
| April 9, 2021, 1:25 p.m. EDT
April 10, 2021, 1:25 a.m. JST
| April 16, 2021, 1:25 p.m. EDT
April 17, 2021, 1:40 a.m. JST
|3||Erased|| April 23, 2021, 1:25 p.m. EDT
April 24, 2021, 1:25 a.m. JST
|4||TBA|| April 30, 2021, 1:25 p.m. EDT
March 1, 2021, 1:25 a.m. JST
Development[edit | edit source]
The Animation was announced on June 25, 2020, via the game's promotional Twitter account. Prior to this point, key art was released teasing the announcement. More information was later shared the following month at Anime Expo. On July 27, 2020, the music production was announced to be fully complete.
On September 18, 2020, a brief preview of the first episode was premiered on the MBS and TBS stations, showing Neku waking up in Shibuya and being ignored by people. It was followed by a 7 Days Campaign on the promotional Twitter account where missions were given out each day for seven days. The more people that completed the missions, the more profile icons they released.
Prior to the anime debut, a special broadcast aired on April 2, 2021, titled "The World Ends with You: The Animation Special Program" (「すばらしきこのせかいThe Animation放送直前特番」放送) in the "Super Animeism" block.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Promotional Videos[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Japanese broadcast stations frequently use the 30-hour-clock, with the night hours belonging to the previous day. A show that is scheduled to air Saturday at 1:25 a.m. will be listed as Friday 25:25 or Friday 1:25 midnight.
- Due to the different time zones, Saturday 1:25 a.m. JST is Friday 12:25 p.m. EDT. Episodes air on Funimation 1 hour after they have aired in Japan.
- All the main Japanese cast members from the game return, although with two exceptions. Rhyme has her Kingdom Hearts voice actress instead of her original, while Hanekoma has a new voice actor.
- Any chance of an English dub is currently unknown.
- The flip phones in the original game have been changed into smart phones. This is because the creators wanted to make the anime feel modern and relatable.
- The opening theme of the anime originally was "Teenage City Riot" by ALI. However, because the band's drummer was arrested, it was changed before release and trailers featuring the song were removed.
Streaming[edit | edit source]
The series streams subtitled (subbed} versions in various regions. All of these streaming sites are geo-locked, and some require a subscription. The list of streaming sites for Japanese viewers can be found here.
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- The World Ends with You "The Animation" official website.
- Tweet by The World Ends With You's promotional account announcing The Animation.
- Tweet by Takeharu Ishimoto; translates from Japanese to "The music production for It's a Wonderful World [the Japanese name for The World Ends with You] has ended!"
- Sub streaming