"I like the field, simple as that. You can feel the pulse out here. People's ideas conflicting, changing... I like bein' in the audience. I'm a stargazer."
-Kariya to Uzuki
Koki Kariya (狩谷 拘輝 Kariya Kōki), sometimes known as "Lollipop" by the Players, is Uzuki Yashiro's partner. He oversees the Game as a Harrier class Reaper (though easily classes into Officer level) and follows orders sent by the Game Master. He is the polar opposite of his hot-headed partner, Uzuki.
Although rumored to have high-level abilities, Kariya would much rather sit back and relax than exert effort in completing his assignments. Kariya explained to an enraged Uzuki that he declined a promotion because being an officer meant that he couldn't be out and about in Shibuya; he would only strut around looking important all day, a life he sees as boring. He is always holding a bean paste lollipop and is exceptionally cool-headed.Kariya spends most of his time playing games with Uzuki which he usually wins. The loser of these games treats the winner to a bowl of ramen. They play these games even with serious subjects, such as finding out the origin of the Taboo Noise. He enjoys an easy, fun life, the exact opposite of his partner, Uzuki. Despite the differences in attitudes and goals, Uzuki and Kariya are friends and work incredibly well together, fighting like two halves of a whole. The two even have their own special light puck, similar to Neku's (explaining why Uzuki and Kariya can take out the Taboo Noise, who can only be defeated by people who have a light puck). Kariya spends a great deal of time telling Uzuki about the old days of being a Reaper, and seems to know more about the Reapers' Game than he lets on. For example, he both knew what a Taboo refinery sigil was and was able to predict what was happening to Shibuya (though it was too late, as he and Uzuki fell victim to the O-pin's mind control). Kariya also talks about how they have never had so many Games in a row, indicating that he has been participating in the Game for a long time.
Kariya's apathy is holding him back more than he knows; in Hanekoma's Secret Reports it is revealed that "The most talented Reapers may travel to the next plane, inhabited by Us Angels." This means that although Kariya certainly has the power and talent, his lackadaisical attitude prevents him from traveling to the next plane and becoming an Angel.
Not many things are known about Kariya's past, as almost nothing is mentioned during game-play, other than the fact that he has been a Reaper for a very long time, as he reveals to Uzuki during many conversations.
Kariya appears often during the Game, although not as often as Uzuki.
He first appears to Neku and Shiki on Day 4, when he and Uzuki set a trap for Beat. Rhyme saves Beat from the trap and instead is erased. When confronted by Beat, Kariya mocks him by saying that Rhyme died only because Beat was too foolhardy to look out for her. He and Uzuki then retreat.
On Day 7, Beat approaches Uzuki and Kariya, apparently to find out how to release Noise from Pins. Although Uzuki is not too keen to talk to Beat, Kariya wants to find out what he wants to know.
During Day 1 of Week 2, Kariya and Uzuki are discussing having Sho Minamimoto as Game Master. Although Uzuki dislikes Minamimoto's way of running the Game, Kariya likes it because it means they have less work to do.
On Day 2, while he and Uzuki are finding out which routes are open or blocked by walls, they are attacked by Taboo Noise. After Uzuki calls the appearance of the Noise in to HQ, the two are tasked with investigating the Taboo Noise.
Later, on Day 4, he seems to notice that Joshua is actually playing the Game alive. He eventually witnesses Joshua using his power on Day 5 and reveals that Joshua is playing the Game whilst still living.
On Day 1, Kariya and Uzuki discuss Mitsuki Konishi's appointment as the Game Master. Kariya notes that it will be hard for Uzuki to get Konishi to promote her. Konishi later tells Kariya and Uzuki to target Beat and Neku and gives them a fake Rhyme pin to bait them (although Uzuki and Kariya think the pin is real). Konishi promises Uzuki a promotion and notes that Kariya should have already been promoted.
On Day 3, after Uzuki's defeat to Neku and Beat, he tells Uzuki his reasons for denying promotion and advises her to slow down.
On Day 4, he directly confronts Neku and Beat. While they are asleep, he locks their keypins in several boxes, forcing them to unlock each box to reach the area he is in. After his defeat, he and Uzuki fight Neku and Beat simultaneously. He attacks Neku on the lower zone, while Uzuki fights Beat on the top zone. After their defeat, he gives Beat the Rhyme pin, discovering that it is a fake. To apologize, he gives them his keypin. While talking to Uzuki later, he helps her realize her true ambition: to get promoted not just for herself, but to benefit the lower-class Reapers being used as pawns by the Reaper Officers. However, right after this, both of them are possessed by their O-Pins.
On Day 5, Beat and Neku find the possessed Kariya and Uzuki and defeat them. Instead of erasing them, they leave them unconscious on the ground, so it's assumed that Kariya and Uzuki survived the third Game and were freed from possession. However, they are not seen after that.
Uzuki has only been a Reaper for two years, and Kariya still calls her a "spring chicken," further implying that Kariya has been in the Harrier business for a long time. Kariya regularly turns down promotions because he enjoys hanging out with Uzuki while she in turn ruthlessly scrambles for advancement. He and Uzuki also share a special light puck that allows them to share their energy.
Kariya is a powerful Reaper. Although he is a Harrier-class Reaper, he is at such a low rank by his own choice, even though he has been a Reaper for a long time and has been offered promotion to Officer-class on few occasions. When in battle, Kariya is quite a formidable opponent. He can fire energy blasts from the air, which explode when they hit the ground doing massive damage to any nearby players. His normal attacks include shooting regular energy blasts that don't explode and shooting shuriken. He is also capable of creating an electrical barrier around him, countering close-range psychs such as Shockwave. However, blocking these moves is possible if the Player is quick enough to attack.
The kanji for Kari-ya Kōki literally translates to: Hunt, valley, arrest, sparkle.
- ↑ Noise Report No 82: What's a little insanity among friends? Uzuki and Kariya still operate like two halves of a whole
Noise Report No 84: What's a little insanity among friends? Kariya and Uzuki still operate like two halves of a whole
- With correct timing and two Lightning Rook pins, it is possible for Neku to put Kariya into an inescapable loop of stun. Once this is done, he can only attack Neku's partner.
- Despite numerous occasions where other game characters go so far as to nickname Kariya "lollipop", it is said in the non-canonical The World Ends with You official manga that the thing that he is always carrying around is actually bean paste. It is also notable that while he never identifies his lollipop as bean paste in the game itself, he never disputes it being a lollipop either, even when other characters call him "lollipop" to his face. This combined with events in the manga not lining up perfectly with certain events in the game present a disputable canon problem, meaning that while Kariya might actually be eating a lollipop in the game, it is most likely bean paste. In the Reaper Quiz game on the Square Enix website, it says that Kariya's favorite flavor of lollipop is bean paste, not that the lollipop is bean paste itself.
- Kariya's eyes are the same color as his lollipop.
- Kariya's English voice actor is Andrew Kishino, who was a former rapper known as Kish. After little success in that field, he took to voice acting.
- The only times Kariya expresses any anger is when he found out that he was being used by Mitsuki Konishi for more time, and when he sees the first Taboo Noise.
- While he is low rank, Kariya's powers can easily match an Officer-class, supported by the fact that he's been offered to be promoted on few occasions and has been a Harrier for a long time. His reason to reject promotion is quite ironic: contrary to his laid-back attitude, Kariya wouldn't like to be an Officer and "strut around Shibuya, looking high and mighty," since it would be boring to do that only day by day.
|Neku • Beat • Joshua • Rhyme • Shiki • Sota and Nao|