- "The day before her accident... I said something I'll always regret... I planned to apologize the next day... but I never saw her again. She's still my best friend. Even now. I want her back, so I can tell her I'm sorry..."
- — Eri about her relationship with Shiki
Eri (エリ Eri) is Shiki Misaki's best friend from when she was alive. She designed clothes which Shiki would make.
Otherwise, her identity at the start of the game is unknown.
Eri is described by Shiki as a multi-talented girl, saying there was nothing Eri could not do. Eri had a lot of friends and Shiki mentions that everyone at school loved her because she was so outgoing and designed cute outfits.
Eri had first met Shiki when she saw her creating Mr. Mew. The two talked and later on, they became best friends. As time grew on, Shiki became more and more jealous of Eri, because Eri was supposedly prettier, smarter, and had far more friends. Shiki then began to hate herself because she felt that there was nothing special about her, wishing she could be as popular, pretty and creative as Eri.
One day, Shiki couldn't come up with a good design so Eri told her that she wasn't meant to be a designer. Even though Eri meant it as an encouragement (as while Eri was the designer, Shiki was an incredibly talented seamstress who brought the designs to life), Shiki took it the wrong way and was hurt. Eri planned to apologize the next day but she was unable to because Shiki died in a tragic accident. Eri was upset and would always regret what she told her.
Eri is first seen in Week 1 Day 6, talking to another friend, Mina, about how she was considering giving up her passion of designing clothes. Eri wished she had never hurt Shiki's feelings and still considers Shiki her best friend, even in death. Eri then talks about Shiki's amazing clothes-making skills and how she wanted them, thus giving Shiki the strength to go on and win. Shiki also discovers that she valued who she was the most, and winning the Game to see Eri once more became Shiki's goal.
Eri appears much earlier in The World Ends with You The Animation in the second episode "Shiki". She walks around Spain Hill, prompting Shiki to get Neku to look away. Neku notices anyway and remarks the passing girl looks just like Shiki. They are transported to the next day and into a new mission, making Neku drop the subject.
Eri appears again talking with her friend. Shiki tries to flee again, but overhears Eri mentioning she's giving up designing clothes. Neku posits scanning Eri to find out why but Shiki refuses the idea, saying she's afraid of finding out what Eri really thinks about her. Eri talks about how incredible Shiki was and how Shiki recently died in an accident, regretting that she told Shiki, "You're not meant to be a designer" the day before her death. Eri cries about how much she misses Shiki and how she will never see Shiki again to apologize. Eri mentions how making clothes with Shiki was their dream. Shiki tries to wipe Eri's tears but it has no effect in the UG, saying, "It's still... our dream." Shiki become resolved to win the Reapers' Game and tells Neku the truth about its real purpose.
In the episode "Reapers", she is seen buying flowers for Shiki's grave because Shiki liked flowers. She mentions she leaves offerings for Shiki daily. Eri realizes that at first, she thought she did not want Shiki to be lonely, but now knows it's herself who does not want to feel lonely.
- "The other day, I found just the cutest outfit at Ten-Four!"
- "I told you. This girl, Shiki-- I'm nothing without her."
- "A fight? I wish. Shiki died. In an accident the other day."
- "No one else could ever make my outfits. Shiki gave them life. Made them real."
- "I did! She was an amazing person. She cared about people-- and always noticed the little things. If I missed something in my design, Shiki always picked up the slack. And her stuffed animals! I wouldn't know where to begin. She had a sharp eye, skilled hands. Motivation. All the things I don't have."
|Characters in The World Ends with You|