|"I totally have, like, sooo much awesome stuff. So, what are you lookin' for?"|
|This article contains information pertaining exclusively to The World Ends with You: Final Remix.|
- "I've got anything you'll ever need. Seriously, I'm like, not even lying."
Coco did not appear in the original The World Ends with You. She debuted in The World Ends with You -Solo Remix- where she sold microtransactions as the owner of her own shop. She returned in The World Ends with You -Live Remix- where she served as the guide. She returned in The World Ends with You Final Remix where she was one of the main characters in the Final Remix exclusive A New Day.
She returned again in NEO: The World Ends with You.
Coco has straight light blonde shoulder-length hair and sky blue eyes. The left side of her hair, beginning where she parts her bangs, is dyed a shade of pastel purple. She has pale skin and is rather childlike in stature.
Her attire is vibrant colored, consisting of lots of cute pink and bright blue, which contrasts with her role as a Reaper. She wears a cyan button-up blouse with a matching tutu skirt. The top of her shirt is ruffled, along with its hem and the hem of her skirt. Over that, she has a bright blue ribbon at her chest and a hot pink hoodie jacket with bear ears. Her hoodie is accented with light pink hearts in the center of the bear ears and on three hearts on either side of her torso. Around her wrists on the outside of the jacket are multicolored flashy bracelets, while the bottom-left end of her jacket has a dark purple heart accessory with a "confused" expression upon it. She wears thigh-high socks that are patterned with dark purple and teal blue in alternation. She wears hot pink sneakers with white soles and pastel teal bow laces. On her back, she wears a purple backpack with white ruffles on the straps and chains on the bottom. This outfit seems like it may pull inspiration from decora or lolita fashion.
Like all Reapers, Coco has a set of wings, which matching with her size, are small in comparison to other Reapers. Because of her overall looks, her wings are one of the only ways to distinguish her as a Reaper. Otherwise, she could easily be mistaken for a normal shopkeeper, as she has her own personal store.
In NEO: The World Ends with You, Coco's hair has grown past her shoulders and is gradient colored, going from pink at the roots to purple at the tips. Her new hairstyle is lightly curled, and her bangs are side swept rather than blunt cut. Her fashion has shifted dramatically, and instead of her previous brightly-colored outfit, she now wears a light pink button up dress. The top section of her dress buttons up the front with frills on either side of the buttons, a peter pan style collar, and long, sheer, puffed sleeves. Her dress is sinched at the waist with a hot pink ribbon tied in a bow, and her skirt is layered with a straight skirt that opens to a panel of several pleats at the front. Her skirt is decorated with hot pink and light pink roses, light green leaves, and small white flowers. She wears a matching flower crown of roses, leaves, and small flowers on her head. On her neck she wears a black choker.
The World Ends with You
Coco represents the childish youth of Shibuya with her young and excitable attitude. She loves being supportive of others, even the Players in the Reapers' Game. Because of her bright personality, her social skills are exceptional and she has no trouble making friends with most people.
On the other hand, she can be the "annoying cutesy try-hard" to certain people, which is Neku's general impression of her. She can be especially bothersome from time to time with her valley girl accent ("cute girl" talk for the Japanese version) in which she says "like" a lot, similar to Nao. In Final Remix, Coco uses Internet lingo and acronyms such as "totez", "wtf", "amirite", "legit", "lmao", "rekt" and "stfu".
She often roots for the Players, although she also understands that a Reaper needs to "eat" by killing Players. She considers herself a friend to both sides. Yet, it is also apparent that she's still as opportunistic and greedy as other Reapers: instead of free charity, she sells out her items for money in her store.
In the finale of A New Day in Final Remix, a different side of Coco's personality is revealed. She is depicted as being highly manipulative, lying to Neku and Beat for the entirety of A New Day. After being exposed by Hanekoma, she is seen as being devious, disrespectful, and sarcastic.
NEO: The World Ends with You
In NEO: The World Ends with You, Coco now represents pastel lolita culture compared to her vibrant looks in The World Ends with You but it's only a surface reinvention. She has little interest in her Reaperly duties and often spends her time in Harajuku, sometimes even wandering outside Shibuya. Despite her delicate appearance, she is actually quite cunning, deceiving others to help get her way—but she remains deeply loyal to her friends, such as Tsugumi.
In the main timeline, Neku himself did not meet her in this particular job, neither did he know much about the game. Even so, other players such as Shiki and Beat knew at least the bottom-line rules of the game. This could possibly mean that Shiki and the others met Coco or other Reapers who introduced them to the game, while Neku jumped into the game unwillingly as a proxy for the Composer, which gave him no reason to meet the guide Reapers as his Soul was already "processed".
Coming into Live Remix, while Coco fulfills her role as usual, she also takes up an even larger role. Instead of only guiding the Souls at the start of the game, Coco is given the task to lead groups of players around as a form of advisory and chaperone. With Live Remix that collects 20 actual players into a group, where they have to fulfill a common goal by the end of the week, Coco is one of the "guide" Reapers chosen to lead these multitudes of groups.
A New Day
Sometime after the events of the Reaper's Game, Neku and Beat were both brought back to what appeared to be the UG by Coco under the ruse of an Expert Mode. A simple assignment was given to them to escape Shibuya. She introduces herself under her usual cute demeanor but is startled to learn that both Neku and Beat don't recognize her. She then follows the two during their trip through the remixed Shibuya. Upon reaching WildKat and confronting Hanekoma, he exposes Coco as misleading the two. Coco sees that Hanekoma wasn't one of the Noise's creations and sends the large Noise on the attack. Upon the Noise's defeat, she as well as Neku and Beat are all returned to the RG. However, she manages to kill Neku once again before being shot by Joshua, but manages to escape.
She reveals in secret that she needs Neku for some plot, and also required him to have a "zetta strong" partner, reviving Sho Minamimoto.
NEO: The World Ends with You
Main article: Coco's Secret Reaper Shop
As mentioned in her personality, Coco has top-level social skills, which is presumably why she was chosen as one of the guide Reapers to lead in incoming Players.
While her battle skills are not mentioned, Coco is perhaps a veteran Reaper just as long as Kariya, indicated by her small and smooth-lined wings, which could mean that she is powerful enough that she shouldn't be taken lightly.
In "A New Day", it is assumed that Coco is the one who created the noise version of Shibuya, meaning that she could be one of (if not) the most powerful reapers. Though in Secret Addendum C, Hanekoma suspect she may have had additional help.
The kanji for Atarashi Ko-ko literally translates to: New, child, child (々 is a character that indicates that the previous kanji should be repeated). With the fact that Coco looks like a very young girl who can be considered as still a child, Coco is also a new character introduced into the The World Ends with You franchise.
The World Ends with You
- "Your faces are, like, totez hilar."
- "Um, are you for realz?"
- "Sooo weird, right? It's, like, seriously sus."
- "I thought Shibuya was finally back to normal, but lol nope jk."
- "I'm, like, totez clueless here!"
- "Omg yay!"
- "This whole situation is, like, suuuper sketch! Amirite?"
- "I totez hadn't thought of that tbh."
- "Um, wtf?"
- "So I know. like, literally nothing lol."
- "Inorite? This literally sounds like a total waste of time lol."
- "Omg that is, like, legit tragic."
- "Tbh you guys need to, like, srsly finish this mission and get out of here!"
- "Well, don't say I didn't, like, tell you so or whatevz."
- "Like, only THE most previous and petite Reaper in the whole wide world, Coco!"
- "Um, not just any Reaper? Like, literally the cutest."
- "All I can say is, like, you're a real pain in the ass." (to Hanekoma)
- "Oooh, I'm sooo scared! lmao jk"
- "I, like, tried to do things the easy way but lol nope."
- "Ugh, don't you, like, ever know when to STFU!? JUST, LIKE, GTFO ALREADY!"
- "If those goons are sooo thirsty for a fight... then they can, like, come here and get rekt like the noobs they are!"
NEO: The World Ends with You
- "You have no friggin' idea what I've been through to get here, you festering sack of garbage!"
- "I am the most adorable Reaper-slash-fairy princess in all of Shibuya, Coco Atarashi! If you aren't careful, I'll charm you to death 🖤"
- The nickname "Live-chan" comes from the fact that Coco was an interact-able Reaper in the Live Remix version of the game. While she can also be interacted with in Solo Remix, her main role was established in Live Remix. She also became the most commonly interact-able Reaper in Live Remix as she guided the groups.
- Coco's speculated job among the Reapers is possibly the role of guiding new spirits into the Reaper's game, after their Soul has died, by "processing" them from the RG to the UG. Other Reapers may hold this job other than her.
- In the Japanese version, it is apparent in Coco's speech bubbles that she uses "text talk" to accompany her "cute girl" talk.
- In Final Remix this is carried over with her dialogue in "A New Day", as she says phrases such as "lol" and "wtf".
- Coco is the only character in the series to have animated emoticons sprites. However, the animations are exclusive to Live Remix where she can be seen blinking and moving her finger while thinking to herself. The bear ears on her hoodie would also move occasionally, wriggling as a sign of discomposure.
|Characters in The World Ends with You|
|Characters in NEO: The World Ends with You|